Les membres ayant 30 points peuvent parler sur les canaux annonces, projets et hs du chat.
La shoutbox n'est pas chargée par défaut pour des raisons de performances. Cliquez pour charger.

Forum Casio - Autres questions

Index du Forum » Autres questions » Casio fx-CG20 or Casio fx-9750GIII ?
Charis Hors ligne Membre Points: 8 Défis: 0 Message

Casio fx-CG20 or Casio fx-9750GIII ?

Posté le 28/10/2022 19:34

Hello

I'm about to buy my first calculator and I am going for something used and cheap, around $25. (here where I am, it's considered not a little money :P)

Both calculators look fantastic, it basically boils down to:

- Casio fx-9750GIII vs Casio fx-CG20
- Battery life ca. 200hr vs 140hr
- Micropython yes/no
- Fast b/w graphing vs slower graphing due to larger ammount of pixels, but color display
- Nice b/w display that gives it traditional calculator feel vs modern lcd that's a bit washed out
- 3MB internal storage vs 16MB
- 63000 bytes vs 61000 bytes of ram
- 2022 (which means more updates / new software coming out) vs 2011

My use-case will be at home, I like using calculators more than my phone, though Wolfram alpha is pretty nice. I'm teaching myself higher math, so I figured it would be nice to have. I will also be putting khiCAS on it. Generally, just want a calculator to enjoy it, it will probably never see an exam.

That's about it. Which one out of those two, or some other calculators would you people reccomend? Thank you
P.S. I posted this in two places on the internet, sorry if you see it double.

Slyvtt Hors ligne Maître du Puzzle Points: 2275 Défis: 17 Message

Citer : Posté le 28/10/2022 19:38 | #

Charis, just posted you an answer on TI-Planet.

if you are lucky enough, maybe can you find a second hand fx-CG50 on a reseller or on Ebay. That would definitely be the best choice.
Here in Europe, we can find some poping on Ebay from times to times at very low price (around 25€ so not to far from your 25$, I assume it is US$). Of course it depends on where you are living.
Even if not the last gen, fx-CG20 is very good for sure. The high resolution color screen is really nice.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't ...

Citer : Posté le 28/10/2022 19:40 | #

Slyvtt a écrit :
Charis, just posted you an answer on TI-Planet.

if you are lucky enough, maybe can you find a second hand fx-CG50 on a reseller or on Ebay. That would definitely be the best choice.
Here in Europe, we can find some poping on Ebay from times to times at very low price (around 25€ so not to far from your 25$, I assume it is US$). Of course it depends on where you are living.
Even if not the last gen, fx-CG20 is very good for sure. The high resolution color screen is really nice.

Yup! Sorry for posting on multiple forums, I didn't know which one has the community, figured I'd post on most. I'm looking to modify it quite a bit Going to get the older TI-82 soon locally that's dead. I fix electronics myself as a hobby, have the whole microsoldering setup going from hot air to nibs. Just, never did anything ever about calculators

I'll try to find a cheaper CG50. Thanks!

Citer : Posté le 28/10/2022 19:58 | #

Just had a look a Ebay US, fx-CG50 are really not cheap !!! Second hand ones are the price of brand new ones here !! this is madness.

Considering your price, I am afraid you may be restricted to fx-CG20 or CG10 that is almost similar.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't ...
Lephenixnoir En ligne Administrateur Points: 24145 Défis: 170 Message

Citer : Posté le 28/10/2022 20:01 | #

The CG-20 doesn't have MicroPython yet but that might change soon.
Mon graphe (24 Mars): (gint#27 ; (Rogue Life || HH2) ; PythonExtra ; serial gint ; Boson X ; ...) || (shoutbox v5 ; v5)
Calamari Hors ligne Membre Points: 229 Défis: 0 Message

Citer : Posté le 28/10/2022 21:15 | #

I recently bought an fx-9750GIII. I was excited about MicroPython, and I like the look of black and white LCD's (such as on the fx-115MS and Casio's classic calculator watches). Also the pink version of the calculator appealed to me. I've ended up buying a different B&W Casio graphing calculator since then due to Python and the display not being what I expected. Additionally, the community has definitely migrated toward the color models. I don't have any experience with the CG series, however, so I won't be able to compare the 9750GIII to the CG's.

Python
• Typing in Python programs on the calculator was a real hassle. I switched to writing the programs on my computer and uploading them.
• If a program is too large it can be run on the calculator but no longer edited on the calculator. This can be worked around by creating additional modules and importing them.
• I had it in mind to make some graphical games and utilities with it. This is possible to an extent, but input is limited to catching the exception generated by pressing AC or switching back to text mode or typing a string and pressing Enter. This was what finally made me abandon Python. Instead I write them in C using Lephenixnoir's excellent gint and fxsdk.

The display
• The display is on the smaller side. I didn't expect this to be a problem, but it is. I'm a little older and my eyes are just starting to have a little trouble focusing on nearby objects. I can still manage it, but it's much more comfortable with reading glasses.
• The display is not as black as it could be: it lacks contrast. Sitting it next to my fx-115MS the digits are noticeably lighter. There is a contrast control to darken the screen, however that also darkens the background. So essentially it boils down to the contrast being poor.
• Finally, and this is something I didn't even consider: the lack of a back light exacerbates both problems. I figured since it was a reflective LCD I didn't need a backlight. After all, I've never needed a backlight for any scientific calculator. However, when a display is brighter it's easier to see smaller details and the lack of contrast can be less bothersome, so this really needs one.

What do I like?
• The USB mass storage mode is VERY convenient. You can simply plug the calculator to your computer and drag and drop files to install them or copy files to the computer to back them up. No software is required for that.
• Storage: Even if 3MB seems small, most software is tiny by comparison. An add-in is typically less than 75K, although some can be in the 200K-300K range. Casio Basic programs will be even smaller. I've never had to worry about lack of space.
• The gint gray engine (4 shades) looks quite smooth on this screen and even introduces a bit of color.

Alternatives
• Although I've never used a CG series, no one seems to be complaining about them, except that the screen can be on the slower side (despite that some amazing games and emulators have been written, with good FPS). They're probably a pretty safe bet. Unless you're sure you want a B&W screen, buying a CG would be my recommendation.
• The fx-9860G series has traditionally had a larger screen than the 9750 series, however I believe with the 9860G III it has the same smaller screen as the fx-9750G. The 9860G series has had a backlight since the 9860G II. I might have originally considered the 9860G III, but the prices seem to be insanely high ($150-200).
• I ended up buying an Fx-9860G Slim and upgrading it to OS 2.00. The display is larger (no complaints), has incredible contrast and has a backlight. However, this calculator is on the rare side so the prices can fluctuate. I managed to get lucky and grab one (used) for less than $30. I'm very happy with it and despite the older OS it's replaced my fx-9750GIII.
• I very recently bought a used French Graph 75+ (importing via eBay) for $30. I haven't received it yet, so I cannot review it, but it has the larger screen and backlight. I expect the display to be identical to my Slim. I went this route rather than buying a 9860G II as the prices seemed to be lower.

Citer : Posté le 28/10/2022 22:45 | #

Calamari a écrit :
I recently bought an fx-9750GIII. I was excited about MicroPython, and I like the look of black and white LCD's (such as on the fx-115MS and Casio's classic calculator watches). Also the pink version of the calculator appealed to me. I've ended up buying a different B&W Casio graphing calculator since then due to Python and the display not being what I expected. Additionally, the community has definitely migrated toward the color models. I don't have any experience with the CG series, however, so I won't be able to compare the 9750GIII to the CG's.

Python
• Typing in Python programs on the calculator was a real hassle. I switched to writing the programs on my computer and uploading them.
• If a program is too large it can be run on the calculator but no longer edited on the calculator. This can be worked around by creating additional modules and importing them.
• I had it in mind to make some graphical games and utilities with it. This is possible to an extent, but input is limited to catching the exception generated by pressing AC or switching back to text mode or typing a string and pressing Enter. This was what finally made me abandon Python. Instead I write them in C using Lephenixnoir's excellent gint and fxsdk.

The display
• The display is on the smaller side. I didn't expect this to be a problem, but it is. I'm a little older and my eyes are just starting to have a little trouble focusing on nearby objects. I can still manage it, but it's much more comfortable with reading glasses.
• The display is not as black as it could be: it lacks contrast. Sitting it next to my fx-115MS the digits are noticeably lighter. There is a contrast control to darken the screen, however that also darkens the background. So essentially it boils down to the contrast being poor.
• Finally, and this is something I didn't even consider: the lack of a back light exacerbates both problems. I figured since it was a reflective LCD I didn't need a backlight. After all, I've never needed a backlight for any scientific calculator. However, when a display is brighter it's easier to see smaller details and the lack of contrast can be less bothersome, so this really needs one.

What do I like?
• The USB mass storage mode is VERY convenient. You can simply plug the calculator to your computer and drag and drop files to install them or copy files to the computer to back them up. No software is required for that.
• Storage: Even if 3MB seems small, most software is tiny by comparison. An add-in is typically less than 75K, although some can be in the 200K-300K range. Casio Basic programs will be even smaller. I've never had to worry about lack of space.
• The gint gray engine (4 shades) looks quite smooth on this screen and even introduces a bit of color.

Alternatives
• Although I've never used a CG series, no one seems to be complaining about them, except that the screen can be on the slower side (despite that some amazing games and emulators have been written, with good FPS). They're probably a pretty safe bet. Unless you're sure you want a B&W screen, buying a CG would be my recommendation.
• The fx-9860G series has traditionally had a larger screen than the 9750 series, however I believe with the 9860G III it has the same smaller screen as the fx-9750G. The 9860G series has had a backlight since the 9860G II. I might have originally considered the 9860G III, but the prices seem to be insanely high ($150-200).
• I ended up buying an Fx-9860G Slim and upgrading it to OS 2.00. The display is larger (no complaints), has incredible contrast and has a backlight. However, this calculator is on the rare side so the prices can fluctuate. I managed to get lucky and grab one (used) for less than $30. I'm very happy with it and despite the older OS it's replaced my fx-9750GIII.
• I very recently bought a used French Graph 75+ (importing via eBay) for $30. I haven't received it yet, so I cannot review it, but it has the larger screen and backlight. I expect the display to be identical to my Slim. I went this route rather than buying a 9860G II as the prices seemed to be lower.

Thank you a lot for this beautifully written text. I agree with you. I'll keep an eye on CG50.then, and only get a CG20 or 9750GIII if the deal is fantastic. Thanks once again, appreciate it a lot.
Calamari Hors ligne Membre Points: 229 Défis: 0 Message

Citer : Posté le 28/10/2022 23:09 | #

Good luck! New they seem to be available on eBay for around $8-9 less than retail. A quick search found this CG50 used (about $20 off retail). I can't tell if the rubber feet are all present (the cover seems like it might be okay, but I'm not sure about the back of the calculator). Probably want to ask the seller to make sure (as well as whether there are any scratches on the screen): https://www.ebay.com/itm/285004119278

Hmm, maybe I should sell this GIII and get myself a used CG50. Then I could try to make my add-ins compatible with both...

Citer : Posté le 29/10/2022 07:31 | #

Calamari a écrit :
Hmm, maybe I should sell this GIII and get myself a used CG50. Then I could try to make my add-ins compatible with both...

Sure you would enjoy working on a cg50. And your programming skills would be really appreciated by the community on this machine

Citer : Posté le 30/10/2022 23:40 | #

Calamari a écrit :
Good luck! New they seem to be available on eBay for around $8-9 less than retail. A quick search found this CG50 used (about $20 off retail). I can't tell if the rubber feet are all present (the cover seems like it might be okay, but I'm not sure about the back of the calculator). Probably want to ask the seller to make sure (as well as whether there are any scratches on the screen): https://www.ebay.com/itm/285004119278

Just got an offer for 7950GIII for $26! Thinking about it if it's worth it $10 for calc and $16 shipping.

Citer : Posté le 31/10/2022 09:42 | #

Calamari a écrit :

Python

The display

What do I like?

Alternatives

Ha! You were right. 1 hour after I got an offer for 9750GIII for $26, I got an offer for CG10 for $32.5. Can't decide which one to go for!

Honestly, since I'm planning to code a bit too, and you said Python is nothing special, and that 9750GIII is also nothing special, bit of a hassle to use, it's better to go with CG10 then?

Here are pictures of both: https://imgur.com/a/e0InvA3

They both seem fine and damage free, right?

P.S. Sorry for double post.

I'll go for CG10! Much better community support

Citer : Posté le 31/10/2022 13:35 | #

About Python: This thing is now announced so you should have decent Python on the CG-10.

IMO the fx-CG is nicer to work with, since I've had it I never really missed the black-and-white days
Mon graphe (24 Mars): (gint#27 ; (Rogue Life || HH2) ; PythonExtra ; serial gint ; Boson X ; ...) || (shoutbox v5 ; v5)

Citer : Posté le 26/11/2022 17:52 | #

Happy news! The fx-CG10 arrived! It works great.

Code reads 755AW14MA083056, which means CG10, made in April 2011, 83056th Prizm made.

I did a lot of reading, I see that everyone has moved to Graph 90+E (fx-CG50) nowdays, so it does seem like CG10 is already 'ancient'.

I wanted to ask you guys, do you happen to know if all Prizms (10,20,50) can run all "g3a's", right? I need to read a bit more on casio wiki before I try to write a hello world myself, then some other stuff!

Oh I was also wondering if you know,

1. What's the best OS version to be ran? Mine is still on v01.02.200. If we take a look here, that's the first version released.

2. Since mine is the old hardware version (pre 2015 hw changes) it means it's unsafe to overclock, since it's been said that's the brick cause. Has anyone ever managed to repair a bricked one? Does replacing the component unbrick it? This has been very nicely discussed here. And, any ideas which component is this that's been pointed out? We don't have any schematics, so it's hard to guess.

3. Stupid question, should I be paranoid about taking stuff from cemetech downloads for prizm, tiplanet downloads and our downloads here on planet casio? Since then every g3a addin is potentially dangerous?

4. If the reccomended OS version is 3.10+, can the white menu background be changed back to black from white? I really like the black one for some reason

5. Any tips what should I put on the calculator? I'm new, no ideas

p.s. screen has a few very small barely noticable scratches, should I try to polish them with toothpaste, has anyone tried? They're not a problem for me, but since the cover seems to be plastic and not glass, I'm unsure how smart it is to try to polish it, it might just smear.

Thanks people! Happy to join the community finally

Citer : Posté le 26/11/2022 18:19 | #

Welcome to the club! ;D

I wanted to ask you guys, do you happen to know if all Prizms (10,20,50) can run all "g3a's", right? I need to read a bit more on casio wiki before I try to write a hello world myself, then some other stuff!

Yes, Prizms can run g3a files, and while there can be some (non-damaging) compatibility issues, most programs will work.

Old programs that run on the Prizm might not run on the CG-50 because their authors were unable to read into the future and guess the CG-50 specs. However, now we have the benefit of hindsight, so CG-50 programs should be written in a way that remains compatible with the CG-10/20. That is at least the case for programs written using the gint/fxSDK combo that I maintain; if you run into any problems, please let me know.

The overclock issue is quite significant. I wasn't around at the time and have no idea what the limits are and how to avoid them. So far, the culture of overclocking is still that programs must either ask before enabling it or be very explicit that they do use it in the program description. So I don't think you need to worry too much about bombing your machine with a "dangerous" add-in. Ptune is also very trustworthy.

I'm pretty sure the recommended OS version is the latest, and unfortunately you can't bring the black background back!
Dj_omnimaga Hors ligne Membre Points: 173 Défis: 0 Message

Citer : Posté le 26/11/2022 21:59 | #

Are fx-CG50/Graph 90+E python programs compatible with the fx-CG10/20 version KhiCAS?

Citer : Posté le 26/11/2022 22:49 | #

KhiCAS with Python-like syntax isn't compatible in general. KhiCAS with MicroPython enabled is reasonably compatible I think, in the sense that you can try and hope for out-of-the-box compatibility.

Citer : Posté le 26/11/2022 23:17 | #

Oh by the way, I know reading the filetypes here, regarding .g1m, .g2m and .g3m;

Can Prizm load g1m / g2m? I know it's natively compatible with g3m

Citer : Posté le 27/11/2022 00:16 | #

Yes, you can load g1m/g2m files on the Prizm. It will convert programs automatically upon copy to the main memory.

LienAjouter une imageAjouter une vidéoAjouter un lien vers un profilAjouter du codeCiterAjouter un spoiler(texte affichable/masquable par un clic)Ajouter une barre de progressionItaliqueGrasSoulignéAfficher du texte barréCentréJustifiéPlus petitPlus grandPlus de smileys !
Cliquez pour épingler Cliquez pour détacher Cliquez pour fermer
Alignement de l'image: Redimensionnement de l'image (en pixel):
Afficher la liste des membres
:bow: :cool: :good: :love: ^^
:omg: :fusil: :aie: :argh: :mdr:
:boulet2: :thx: :champ: :whistle: :bounce:
valider
 :)  ;)  :D  :p
 :lol:  8)  :(  :@
 0_0  :oops:  :grr:  :E
 :O  :sry:  :mmm:  :waza:
 :'(  :here:  ^^  >:)

Σ π θ ± α β γ δ Δ σ λ
Veuillez donner la réponse en chiffre
Vous devez activer le Javascript dans votre navigateur pour pouvoir valider ce formulaire.

Si vous n'avez pas volontairement désactivé cette fonctionnalité de votre navigateur, il s'agit probablement d'un bug : contactez l'équipe de Planète Casio.

Planète Casio v4.3 © créé par Neuronix et Muelsaco 2004 - 2024 | Il y a 88 connectés | Nous contacter | Qui sommes-nous ? | Licences et remerciements

Planète Casio est un site communautaire non affilié à Casio. Toute reproduction de Planète Casio, même partielle, est interdite.
Les programmes et autres publications présentes sur Planète Casio restent la propriété de leurs auteurs et peuvent être soumis à des licences ou copyrights.
CASIO est une marque déposée par CASIO Computer Co., Ltd